- Second Saturday Field Trips!Second Saturday trips are back on the Calendar. Check our Field Trip page for times and locations!
- Hesthavn Work Parties are in full swing. Click Here for more information.
2014-2015 Speaker Schedule
Monthly Meeting Info:
- September 18: Joe Liebezelt - Avian Conservation Manager, Portland Audubon - Klamath Refuges: Hard Times for Migratory Birds
Join us September 18, as ASC kicks off
its 2014-15 general membership meeting
program. Our speaker will be Joe
Liebezeit, Avian Conservation Program
Manager for Portland Audubon Society
since 2013. Joe holds a Master’s degree
in Wildlife Management from Humboldt
State University and has over twenty
years’ experience as a wildlife biologist.
Previously he worked for the Wildlife
Conservation Society in Arctic Alaska.
As we enter the second year of
drought conditions throughout the
west, water woes in the Klamath Basin
are reaching a critical juncture. The system
is under incredible stress, with not
enough water to go around. The wildlife
of the Klamath Basin, particularly migratory
birds, are being hit incredibly hard.
More than half of all Pacific Flyway birds
depend on Klamath Basin wetlands, yet,
another punishing drought year could
dry up what few wetlands remain. In
this landscape, nature bats last, with the
National Wildlife Refuges literally at the
bottom of the barrel for water rights in a
highly over-allocated system.
How did we get here? Joe will discuss
the history of wildlife and water usage
in the Klamath Basin and what you can
do to help Klamath’s wildlife.
- October 16: Noah Strycker - Naturalist and writer His new book about distinctive characteristics of birds
- November 20: Bridget Callahan - Oregon Wild Fiftieth Anniversary of the Wilderness Act
- December 18: Member Slide Show!
Join us the third Thursday of every month, September through May, at the meeting hall of the First Presbyterian Church, 114 SW Eighth Street. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for refreshments and visiting. Chapter Meeting commences at 7:00 p.m. followed by the guest lecture at 7:30 p.m. Questions about the series can be directed to Chris Matthews
Open Meetings of the Board of Directors
ASC board meetings are open to all ASC members, and the board encourages you to come and see what we do. Our monthly board meeting is on Thursday one week before the General Meeting. See the calendar on the last page of The Chat for the meeting location.