Trail & Award
ASC Green Initiative
Please help ASC become the first "Green" Audubon Chapter in the country! To accomplish our goal, we need to have at least 50 members promise to adhere to these practical suggestions to the best of their abilities. Please send a note to John Gaylord (email@example.com) if you would like to sign our "Green regisitry". Our best bet at starting this grassroot effort is to lead by example!
To help us all "Go Green", please consider purchasing one or more of our reuseable cloth ASC Shopping Bags! They are available at the monthly meeting for $10 each.
- Buy energy-efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs for your most heavily used lights. (This may save 70KG of CO2 per year)
- Utilize renewable energy sources, when able (e.g., Blue Sky ).
- Drive less. Walk, cycle, carpool or use public transport where possible. (Will save l KG of CO2 per kilometer and will help reduce obesity).
- Recycle more. Recycling household waste (paper, plastic, glass) on average saves l080 KG CO2 per year.
- Plant a tree. (one tree will absorb over a ton of CO2 in a life time )
- Frequently check your tires for proper inflation. Saves up to 3% on fuel.
- Use less hot water. Washing clothes in cold water reduces CO2 production 230 KG per year.
- Avoid products with excessive packaging. Choose reusable products over disposable ones.
- Adjust your thermostat 2 degrees cooler in winter and 2 degrees warmer in summer. (Will reduce CO2 production 1000 KG per year).
- Run your dishwasher only with full loads. Use energy saving settings to dry dishes.
- Install low-flow shower heads to save hot water.
- When shopping for groceries, use reusable cloth bags instead of plastic to carry out goods (see below).
- When time and budget permits, buy a more fuel efficient vehicle - one that gets at least 5 more miles per gallon.
- Develop the habit of turning out lights when not needed.